Saturday, August 20, 2016

The Plane Ride

Blog entry #2 - With Great Altitude.


It's about 3am in Vienna time and about 9pm in NY time. I got on the plane around 5ish and we took off at 6ish. The take off was rather exhilarating, but first let's talk about what I got do in preparation for the trip.

I've been up since about 8am yesterday (Monday the 15th). My roommate from U of H, Liam, came to visit me and join my family and I at our house to have our going away party. It was a lot of fun to do, and my girlfriend
    Annie had a big hand in helping out with setting it up and stuff (myself included). Saying goodbye was probably the hardest thing I've ever done. Annie and I have always dealt with long distance relationships; she goes to
  school in Boston and I went to school in NY and now Connecticut. It's one of the few relationships I've had where the distance thing wasn't an issue. Our relationship is also one of the few where her parents actually
  like me. Who woulda thought? Anyways, after Liam left to go back home to New Jersey I started finally packing up all of the stuff I had to bring. My roommate Taylor and his girlfriend Nadia had some godd advice for
  the packing aspect: pack everything you think you need, and then cut it in half. After that, cut it in half one more time. (I sorta skipped that second bit). I also had to write a couple of thank you notes for people who gave me
  money for my journey to Vienna. Then I had to stay up all night (i took two hour-long naps) so that I could sleep on the way to Newark International and then while on the plane. Clearly, this plan failed. I think I had too much coffee.
  I actually only had one cup of coffee on this flight so far. It was so good. The beer was delicious too. It was served not to cool, but not too warm, and sipping on it while watching Deadpool was lovely.

So this morning at around 11 my parents and I got in the car and drove down to Newark. It was around a 2.5-3 hour long drive, so not too bad. Traffic only got kinda bad once we were actually outside of NYC. Thank god we didn't
  didn't have to go to JFK. Getting into the airport and checking in my luggage was fairly easy too. There was no line at the Austrian Airline line, so that was nice. After that my parents went to the "restaurant" and got some food.
  I got a tasty mushroom swiss burger. I decided to get a Shock Top with it, but felt quite silly because my parents got an imperial pint (20 oz.) of Goose Island. I think it was their/the lager. I don't know much about that brewery,
  but that was a damn good beer. Shock Top sucks. I don't know what I was doing. I sorta panicked when the waitress asked what I wanted.

And that's about it. Going through security/TSA was annoying, but who really enjoys having to take all of your stuff and put it into bins and then get scanned? I think it's just the lines that are annoying. I digress. Getting onto the
  plane was easy. The stewardess' are very nice and I have a dope-ass window seat with a clear view of the turbine (well, one of. I think there are four of them. I would certainly hope so on an plane this size.)

We're right now sailing at about 30,000 feet (Maybe? Not really sure, but I remember reading it somewhere that 30k feet is the standard height of planes when traveling). We're over the Atlantic ocean and it's so dang cool to see
  the moon (which is directly to the right of my window) reflect on the ocean. Plan on reading a new blog once I land in Vienna (in 5 hours). I'll upload this once there is working WiFi and will attempt to start the third entry.


Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment